Interior of an empty courtroom with gavel, law books and sounding block on the desk.


April 17, 2024

If a landlord or tenant is violating certain laws in Connecticut, the landlord or tenant can request that a State Housing Court prosecutor open a case against that person or company.

The prosecutor can bring criminal cases in regard to a large variety of matters, including but not limited to violations of building codes, violations of fire codes, violations of health and safety laws, criminal lockouts, terminations of essential services such as heat and water, and criminal damage to property.

State law (Connecticut General Statutes Section 51-286b) states that the prosecuting attorney may initiate cases on behalf of an individual (such as a landlord or a tenant) or a municipal agency.

Housing Court Prosecutors are located in Waterbury, Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford.

For more information, please contact Attorney Daniel H. Kryzanski (Phone: 203-380-1384).